The peak of flu season is just around the corner. So, it makes sense you are here preparing for it. But let’s not forget that disinfecting your baby’s toys should be ongoing throughout the year, not just during the flu season.
With that in mind, let’s check out the best and safest disinfectant sprays for baby toys on the current market. We have reviewed each of these products so you can confidently make a pick for your little one’s well-being.
“Disinfecting your baby’s surroundings, including their toys, clothes, and everyday items, is super important.” We have all heard this countless times.
But why is it crucial? There are many reasons, but for now, let’s discuss the no.1 reason why disinfection is necessary for baby toys. Kids tend to play with their food but put toys in their mouths. Their innate habit of exploring the world with their mouth can be endearing. But it can be a threat to their health.
This is where the disinfection of toys comes in handy!
Do note, not all disinfectants are safe for your baby. The search for the best baby-friendly disinfectant spray is a little more complicated than simply picking a product that claims to kill 99% of germs.
Instead, it would be best if you also considered other criteria like ingredient list, allergens, fragrance, ease of use, rinse or no-rinse formulation, etc.
What Makes a Disinfectant Spray Safe for Babies?
Below are some primary factors that make a disinfectant spray safe for babies:
· Look for a disinfectant spray made with baby-friendly, non-toxic ingredients. Ingredients you should watch out for include ammonia, bleach, and phthalates.
· Go for products that carry third-party testing or certification, like being EPA-registered.
· The label of the product should specify that the product is safe to be used around kids.
· It is ideal to opt for fragrance-free disinfectants, especially for babies with respiratory sensitivities. Generally, sprays with mild fragrance would work too. Just avoid any scent that may overwhelm your baby’s senses.
· Look for products that come with easy-to-use usage instructions.
· The spray should not leave behind harmful residues on toys after application.
Understanding Disinfectant Ingredients
Here is a list of the common disinfectant ingredients usually found in baby-friendly disinfectant sprays:
Hypochlorous: It is a weak acid with strong antimicrobial properties. All mammals’ immune systems naturally contain this acid.
Plant-derived cleaning agents: These ingredients are usually derived from coconut, corn, soap bark, etc.
What Is A Non-Toxic Disinfectant Spray?
A non-toxic disinfectant spray is one that’s effective enough to kill harmful microorganisms like germs, viruses, and bacteria. Yet, it is also gentle enough to be used around kids and pets.
Non-toxic disinfectants include clean, safe, and often natural ingredients. They are free from ingredients like chemicals, parabens, SLS, SLES, dyes, synthetic/harsh fragrances, and petroleum solvents.
Best Disinfectant Spray for Baby Toys – At A Glance
Top Picks For Baby Toy Disinfectant Spray – Our Favorite Picks
1. Clean Smart Toy Disinfectant Spray – Best Overall
2. Better Life Natural All-Purpose Cleaner – Best All-Purpose Cleaner
3. Babyganics Toy And Highchair Cleaner Spray – Best Fragrance-Free Disinfectant
Reviews And Comparisons Of The Best Baby-Safe Disinfectant Sprays
It is an EPA-registered disinfectant spray that kills up to 99.9% of viruses, fungi, and bacteria. It is safe for disinfecting bath toys, plastic toys, plushies, stuffed animals, pacifiers, and highchairs.
Made with simple ingredients and smart science, Clean Smart is free from harsh chemicals and fragrances. You can also use it as a rinse-free disinfecting spray.
Made with biodegradable, plant-based ingredients, the Better Life Natural All-Purpose Cleaner is free from toxic ingredients like dyes, bleach, alcohol, perfumes, and sulfates.
You can use it to disinfect your baby’s everyday items and surroundings.
This product is fragrance-free and pediatrician + dermatologist tested. From floors to counters to dishes to toys, the Babyganic cleaner spray helps keep your baby’s spaces clean and hygienic.
Mommy Pure disinfectant spray is a laboratory-tested product that kills up to 99.9% of harmful microorganisms within 30 seconds.
You can use it to disinfect both hard surfaces and soft toys. It contains natural ingredients, is vegan, and is safe on sensitive skin.
This innovative disinfectant spray uses electricity to change the chemical composition of salt, water, and vinegar and turns it into a powerful multi-purpose cleaner and federal EPA-registered disinfectant.
Just spray your baby’s toys and let it air dry for 10 minutes, and you’re all set!
Made with natural ingredients like thyme oil, Seventh Generation Disinfectant Spray is a no-rinse product. Meaning there’s no need to rinse or wipe the toys once you disinfect them with the spray.
But do ensure to let the toys air dry for about 10-15 minutes before allowing your kids to play with them again.
Made in Singapore, this product uses hypochlorous acid to disinfect your baby’s toys effectively, killing up to 99.999% of disease-causing viruses, germs, and bacteria.
It is non-toxic, alcohol-free, non-sticky, and food-grade. You can use it to disinfect your baby’s toys, hands, hard surfaces, etc.
Using Disinfectant Spray for Various Types of Toys
In this section, let’s review the steps involved in disinfecting different types of toys – stuffed animals, fabric toys, and plastic toys.
How To Use Disinfectant Spray On Stuffed Animals?
· Before disinfecting stuffed animals, make sure to properly clean and wash them.
· Allow to air dry completely.
· Next, pick a commercial, baby-safe disinfectant spray from the above list.
· Read the product’s label and follow the usage instructions properly.
· In most cases, you need to hold the spray 10-15 cm from the stuffed animal and spray to cover the entire area.
· For no-rinse products, allow them to air-dry for about 15-20mins before handing them to your kids.
Disinfectant Spray For Fabric Toys
· Wash fabric toys with warm, soapy water.
· Allow it to air dry.
· Hold the disinfectant spray 10-15 cm away from fabric toys and spray.
· Wipe down with a clean kitchen towel if needed.
Using Disinfectant Spray On Plastic Toys
· Wash plastic toys with mild detergent.
· Allow it to air dry.
· Wipe your toys with a 1:1 vinegar-water solution.
· Once dry, disinfect the plastic toys with a disinfectant spray.
· Let it sit for about 10-15mins. Wipe it with a clean cloth if needed.
· Use disinfectant wipes for on-the-go clean-ups.
You can also take a DIY approach to disinfect your baby’s toys. Here are some homemade recipes to do so:
Homemade Toy Sanitizer Recipes
· Mix ½ cup of white vinegar and ½ cup of distilled water as the base. Then, add a few drops of tea tree oil and lemon oil.
· You can simply boil hard plastic toys in clean water for a quick disinfecting solution.
· Soak the toys in water and bleach for about 10 minutes. Then, rinse all toys thoroughly with clean water to ensure your baby does not come in contact with the bleach directly.
The Safety And Effectiveness Of Homemade Solutions
While some homemade disinfectants can be safe and effective, it’s crucial to exercise caution and consider various factors. The safety aspect primarily revolves around ingredient selection and dilution ratios.
Household ingredients like vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, and essential oils can be safe for use around babies if used properly.
That includes rinsing or wiping your toys after the disinfection process. Then, allow the toys to air dry completely before letting your baby play with them again.
Best Practices For Disinfecting Baby Toys
· Read the directions on the disinfectant’s label and follow it properly.
· Check if your cleaning/disinfecting products are EPA-approved or carry other certifications.
· Pre-clean or pre-wash baby toys before disinfecting them.
· Wear gloves during the disinfection process if needed.
· Wash your hands properly before and after the disinfection process.
· Store all disinfection products out of reach of children.
Routine Disinfection: How Often Should You Sanitize Baby Toys?
There’s no hard and fast rule about how often you should sanitize your baby’s toys. However, a general rule of thumb is cleaning your baby’s toys regularly. That includes dusting or vacuuming the toys to remove dust and dirt from the day’s play.
When it comes to more thorough cleaning, consider washing the toys once a week. This ensures that any surface grime or residue is effectively removed, maintaining a hygienic play environment. For the additional step of sanitizing the toys, you should do it twice a month or whenever the toys appear dirty.
Storage Tips After Disinfection
· Make sure to disinfect the storage unit before placing the toys.
· Consider storing your toys in glass cabinets. The transparent glass doors offer the advantage of putting your toys on visual display, making them easily accessible. Plus, it simultaneously protects the toys against dust and dirt.
· For a long-term storage solution, individually wrap your stuffed animal in acid-free tissue paper and put them in air-tight plastic boxes.
No-Rinse Disinfectant Spray For Toys – Babyganics Toy And Highchair Cleaner Spray
Baby-Safe Sanitizing Spray Options – Force Of Nature Disinfectant Spray
Kid Safe Disinfectant Sprays – Clean Smart Toy Disinfectant Spray
As we mentioned at the beginning of our write-up, kids are notorious for putting toys in their mouths. And while we can’t always stop them from doing so, we can certainly take steps to minimize the health risks associated with such habits. That includes disinfecting your baby’s toys periodically or whenever they are visually dirty.
Always wash the toys first and let them dry completely. Then, you can disinfect them with any of the products we reviewed above. Here’s what you need to do:
· Hold the disinfectant spray about 10-15 cm away from the toy.
· Spray adequately, covering the toy from top to bottom.
· Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. If needed, wipe it down with a clean towel before handing it to your kids.